20110306

REE-DIK-YOU-LUZ CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES



My mother called me today to tell me she was baking chocolate chip cookies with my cousin and they were so excited! She said she found a recipe online that she was going to try, but I know the perfect recipe and unfortunately she already started making them so I let this one slide. But never again. I will never let her or anyone who reads this blog make imperfect chocolate chip cookies ever again. I have baked and tried so many chocolate chip cookie recipes in my lifetime, and this recipe (that I have no idea where I got it) is by far the worlds greatest. If these don't work for you, please let me know and I will mail you some of mine to prove to you that they truly are AMAZING.


My first word of advice is make sure your ingredients are all at room temperature. The butter should be soft- but not melted. When you cream it (with a paddle attachment on a kitchen aid) it should look like mayonnaise. The butter and sugar should be creamed together to a pale ivory color- the more you whip it the more air you incorporate (but do not over beat it- 4 minutes should be good) which makes the cookies plumper. If its not mixed properly your cookies will be flat and crisp. The chocolate you use is important, spend the extra couple dollars and get quality chocolate, don't go crazy but it really does make a difference. And I prefer to use dark chocolate over semi-sweet, but that's just me. I use light brown sugar because I like the flavor, but if you prefer a deeper molasses flavor you can use dark brown sugar.

You can refrigerate your dough after its made or freeze it. I usually roll it into a log wrap it in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze it and bake them when I have company. They love the fresh baked cookies. Also, I prefer using a non stick pan or a heavy duty sheet pan. I would avoid using lightweight shitty pans that are probably warped and burnt on the bottom because your cookies will not be perfect :)

Ree-Dik-You-Luz Chocolate Chip Cookies

6 oz (12 Tbsp) unsalted butter, softened 
1 c light brown sugar
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs, room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 c Callebaut callets 63%or 73% (or more if you like them super chocolaty)

Cream the butter and sugar. While thats creaming, sift the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside. Beat the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl and add it to the butter mixture. Blend Well!! Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined (that means don't run off when you add it- you will over beat it!) Scrape down bowl and add chocolate.
I find refrigerating the dough before you bake it has a better result- the cookies hold shape better when they are baked. When I bake them straight away they melt faster in the oven and get flatter and bigger.

Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes.
They should be crisp on the outside and chewy in the center. Let me know if they don't   :D





1 comment:

connie.cee said...

looks really good renee! I made some 'mookies' yesterday haha